Royal Caribbean has announced its chosen ‘experience hunter’ from more than 37,000 applications for what has been called the ‘world’s best apprenticeship’.
Irish professional rugby player and Insta traveller Harry McNulty was selected to travel the world for three weeks this summer as Royal Caribbean International’s official Shore Explorer Apprentice. The role will see Harry seek out new land-based experiences across the globe that will ultimately influence the brand’s shore excursion programme.
Harry will explore the likes of Japan, Alaska, Europe and the Middle East, and will be among the first to step foot on Royal Caribbean’s new and exclusive private island in the Caribbean, Perfect Day at CocoCay, opening next month.
In addition, the globetrotting sports star will receive £6,000 on completion of the trip – the equivalent of a £104,000 salary.
The apprenticeship builds on the success of Royal Caribbean’s ‘Intern-ship programme’ two years ago. Harry will act as apprentice to Royal Caribbean’s Instagrammer-in-Chief, Russ Francis, who was appointed following his 2016 application.
Harry will embark on an adrenaline-fuelled journey onboard Royal Caribbean’s Independence of the Seas when she returns to UK shores next month. Whilst onboard, Harry will be tasked with trialling experiences ranging from the ship’s 40-foot-long surf simulator, FlowRider, to its bungee jump simulator SkyPad.
The judging panel comprised The Vamps’ writer & guitarist and contestant in last year’s I’m A Celebrity…Get Me Out of Here! James McVey; travel writer Nadia El Ferdaoussi; Russ Francis, Royal Caribbean’s Instagrammer-in-Chief; and Ben Bouldin, AVP and managing director, Royal Caribbean International, UK & Ireland.
They were blown away by Harry’s entry, which included a video montage of his travels.
Bouldin said: “We loved Harry’s entry, which was a unique piece of content featuring him capture various adventurous experiences around the world. This not only demonstrated his photography and storytelling skills, but also showed off his dedication and passion for travel – two attributes that are integral to this role.
“We’re confident that Harry will be able to seek out extraordinary new shore experiences to share with the world and inspire our shore excursion team to offer our guests even more incredible adventures at our destinations around the world.”
Harry said: “This has come as a bit of a shock, but an amazing one… even just to be included in the shortlist was a huge achievement, but to actually get the position out of 37,000 applicants is incredible. The chance to travel the world and inspire people by capturing content of extraordinary places – over half of which I’ve never been to – is the opportunity of a lifetime. I can’t wait for the adventure to get started and give it everything that I’ve got!”
Those who made the shortlist were:
- @kistography with her atmospheric shot at the Eden Project
- @ainesadventures with her incredible travel montage
- @jsonnewman for his awe-inspiring snap in the Arizona desert
- @Courtneystokesx with a spectacular mountain vista in Patagonia
- @darrens_visuals for his video of icy Kollafjordur in the Faroe Islands
- @_edmorris stargazing in the Namib Desert
- @no.permanent.address for this steely blue glacier shot
- @elliotmicallef who creatively captured a sunset
- @jackgarratt95 with his adventurous entry
- @katiehagan77 for her video entry including drone footage
- @katie.maree with a dune-top selfie
- @ kevla_r for his Mars-esque desert shot
- @kirstyshawberry for her beautiful wide Lapland image
- @matharvey23 with a stunning sunset shot
- @twiiler for an interesting coastal capture
- @that_backpacker_guy with his Philippine volcano shot
- @thetextbooktravels with these beautiful god rays
- @a_stirling_adventure for a stunning couple shot
- @rooftopsandflipflopsphotography for her desert camouflage