Ban on international cruise to be lifted
Government also confirms the easing of quarantine restrictions for fully-vaccinated travellers from the EU and US.
The government has confirmed that the ban on international cruises will stop on August 2, ending the Foreign Office advice against “cruise ship travel” that has been in place since July 2020.
A statement from the Department for Transport said: “Following the close monitoring of epidemiological evidence, gained through the restart of the domestic cruise industry earlier this year, the UK government has also confirmed the go ahead for international cruise sailings to restart from England in line with Public Health England guidance.
“International cruise travel advice will be amended to encourage travellers to understand the risks associated with cruise travel and take personal responsibility for their own safety abroad.”
Grant Shapps, the transport secretary, also confirmed the easing of quarantine restrictions for fully-vaccinated travellers from the EU and US.
We’re also able to confirm the restart of international cruises🚢and flexible testing programmes to help key workers and drive our economic recovery.
Whether you’re a family or a business, this is progress we can all enjoy.
— Rt Hon Grant Shapps MP (@grantshapps) July 28, 2021
Andy Harmer, Clia managing director for UK & Ireland, said: “The decision to allow the restart of international cruise is very good news for the industry. The success of this summer’s round Britain cruises has led the way.
“The cruise industry has worked intensively during the last 18 months in collaboration with the Government, health authorities, ports, and other industry bodies to develop enhanced protocols that protect guests, crew, and the destinations we visit.
“The industry looks forward to welcoming guests back onboard to visit international destinations.”
Nick Stace, CEO of Saga Travel, said: “We are pleased that the government has confirmed that restrictions will lift on international cruising. The entire cruise industry has been working closely with Government to reach this point and it is a huge boost to receive the news that we will once again be able to welcome guests on non-domestic voyages.
“Ensuring the safety of our guests and crew is our number one priority and we’ve worked tirelessly to create the safest possible environment on-board our ships. Our customers have been eagerly awaiting certainty from Government so they can plan their cruises beyond UK shores and today’s news will give them the clarity they need to do that.”