Recipe: Uniworld’s key lime pie
A mouthwatering key lime pie by Bea Tollman, founder of Uniworld owner The Travel Corporation
200g plain Hobnob biscuits
(or digestives if you prefer)
60g melted butter
10g soft butter to grease the pie tin
2 tins condensed milk
20ml key lime juice
zest of two limes
8 egg yolks
250ml double cream
21cm fluted round pie dish. If you want to take the finished pie out of the dish make sure you use a pie dish with a loose bottom
- Grind the biscuits in a food processor until they resemble breadcrumbs, then slowly add the melted butter.
- Grease the pie dish with the softened butter, then, using a spoon, press the biscuit crumbs into the sides and base of the pie dish.
- Bake at 160C for five minutes until the base is just starting to colour, then take out of the oven.
- Whisk all of the remaining ingredients, except for the cream and sugar, together and pour into pie shell.
- Bake in the centre of the oven until just set: 15-20 minutes. Leave to cool completely, preferably overnight in the fridge.
- Whip the cream and sugar together to form stiff peaks, then pipe rosettes of cream onto the pie and decorate with slices of lime.
Recipe taken from A Life In Food by Bea Tollman, the co-founder of The Travel Corporation who are the owners of Uniworld.