Emerald Waterways is to host the country’s first Lesbian Gay Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) river cruise.
The sailing, which will be on the Danube, will officially be announced on gay UK radio station Gaydio as an ‘LGBT Danube Explorer’ cruise on October 10, 2016.
David Winterton, Emerald Waterways UK brand manager, said: “We are extremely proud and excited to announce this new cruise, which is not only a first for the brand but also in the UK. For a long time, there have been few options that truly cater for the LGBT community, and we hope that this venture will not only be a success but provide an amazing experience for our guests.
The radio station will also be offering listeners of Gaydio a chance to win a place on the cruise. Breakfast show hosts Chris Holliday and Emma Goswell will also host their show from the ship for three days.
“The cruise is fully bookable by all travel agents and offers something new to their customers,” Winterton added. “With our unique heated indoor pool which turns into a cinema by night, one avenue we’d recommend is marketing to LGBT groups such as sports teams and community groups, and we are able to offer great group discounts in turn.
“We will also be supporting this unique river cruise experience with a six week marketing campaign, working with partners and titles including Winq, Diva and Gay Times.”
The cruise will depart on July 29, 2017, and be available from £1,695 per person. Passengers will also receive a free drinks package.
The voyage will run from Budapest to Nuremberg calling at Bratislava, Vienna, Dürnstein-Melk, Passau (with an optional excursion available to Salzburg, the home of Sound of Music), Regensburg-Kelheim.
The cruise will be tailored to include places of interest that appeal to the LGBT community.
The company confirmed that the following will be included in the cruise:
- Return economy flight from London, Manchester, Birmingham, Glasgow and Edinburgh. Other regional departures available from £49 per person return
- Seven nights in a stateroom or suite of your choice, all with a river view
- Six shore excursions, including visits to 3 Unesco World Heritage Sites
- 2 EmeraldPLUS activities including a home-hosted afternoon tea with a local Slovakian family
- 2 EmeraldACTIVE activities
- 20 on-board meals: 7 breakfasts, 6 lunches, 7 dinners including a Welcome Gala Dinner
- Free Premium Drinks Package*
- Complimentary tea and coffee on-board
- Complimentary bottled water in your Suite or Stateroom, re-stocked daily
- A variety of on-board evening entertainment
- First-class service from English-speaking crew and knowledgeable local guides
- Complimentary Wi-Fi on-board
- Complimentary bicycles on-board
- All port charges, airport taxes and transfers within Europe
- ABTA and ATOL protected
- All tips included, saving you up to £235 per couple